Karyes 5km (1 hour) The Monastery Stavronikita is a high, imposing building with a high tower, as its guard, situated in the middle of the eastern side of Athos peninsula, with a nice view over the Aegean Sea. According to the tradition of Mount Athos, founder of the monastery is the officer of the Emperor Ioannis Tsimiskis, Nikiphoros Stavronikitas (10th century), who gave the monastery his name. There are also other interpretations for the foundation and the name of this monastery, which is dedicated to Agios Nikolaos and celebrates on the 6th / 19th of December. According to the ancient tradition, fishermen found the mosaic icon of Agios Nikolaos: an oyster was stuck in the forehead of the face of Agios Nikolaos; when the fishermen took it out, the icon bled! Tel. +30 23770 23255
The Monastery of Stavronikita is located on the eastern shore of the peninsula, at an altitude of 50 m above sea level. It is the last of the monasteries built on Mount Athos and has the shape of a fortress.
It occupies the fifteenth rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It is inhabited by 28 monks (1990) and is coenobitic (communal).
The monastery has repeatedly been destroyed by fire in 1067, 1817, 1864 and 1879. Its katholikon is dedicated to Saint Nicolas and it was built between 1527-1536. Its wall murals were performed by the Cretan artist Theophanes. It maintains the architecture of the katholika of the Athonite monasteries. Its templon is painted by Theophanes and its theme is the Dodecaorton. Aside from the katholikon, there are six chapels inside and outside the monastery. The refectory is on the first floor of the south wing of the monastery and it is frescoed by painters of the Cretan school.
The library houses 170 manuscripts and several thousands of printed books. Into the treasure house are kept precious treasures, such as holy relics, liturgical vessels and crosses.
ted to the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in accordance with the Athonite architecture. Samples of Byzantine mosaics remain, some of which were retouched in the 12th century and in 1312. Nineteen smaller chapels in addition to the katholikon lie within and outside the boundaries of the monastery. Five are in the katholikon. These of the Saint Nicholas and Saint Demetrios lie left and right of the eso-narthex, and the chapel of the Virgin of Consolation. In the monastery are the chapels of the Holy Girdle and of the Saints Kosmas and Damian.
Near the entrance of the Katholikon is the phiale and just opposite stands the refectory built in the 12th century and frescoed in 1786.
The treasury of the monastery of Vatopedi holds some of the most valuable relics: fragments of the True Cross, a part of the reed on which the sponge of vinegar was offered to Christ on the Cross and many others.
The library is rich in invaluable treasures. Among other things, 1,700 manuscripts and over 10,000 printed books.