Karyes 15km (3 hours) The Monastery Xenophontos is built in the middle of the western side of Athos peninsula by the coast. Agios Xenophon founded it in the 10th century. The monastery is dedicated to Agios Georgios and celebrates on the 23rd of April / 6th of May. Like all the other monasteries it suffered to a lot of raids by pirates, as well as fires, so it lost a lot of valuable treasures. The present “catholicon” was built early in the 19th century (1809-1819). It is extremely big with a marvelous marble iconostasis. However, the first “catholicon from the 10th century, with wall paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries is still preserved. Most of the wall paintings were made by the Cretan painter Antonios. In the monastery there are a lot of chapels, the oldest of which is the chapel dedicated to Agios Dimitrios, (Saint Demeter) with a wooden impressive iconostasis from the 17th century. The wall paintings of the Refectory were made in the 16th century. The bell-tower was built in 1814, and the “phiale” in 1908. Finally, the library includes 300 handwritten and 4.000 printed books. Two mosaic icons of Agios Georgios and Agios Dimitrios, pieces of Holy Wood, relics of Saints, the icon of Transfiguration of Jesus Christ, gold-embroidered vestments and holy vessels constitute the valuable heirlooms of the monastery. Tel. +30 23770 23249, 23630
The Monastery of Xenofontos is located at the south-western part of the Athos peninsula and was built in 1010 by the monk Xenofon. After the fall of Constantinople, the monastery was alternatively destroyed and rebuilt with the financial aid from the rulers of eastern Europe.
It occupies the sixteenth rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It is coenobitic (communal) and is inhabited by 57 monks (1990).
The monastery of Xenofontos features two katholika. The original, near the entrance of the monastery, dedicated to the memory of Saint George, was built in the 16th century and features frescoes of the Cretan School. The new was restored between the years 1817-1837 and is the largest of all the katholika of the Holy Mountain. Next to the new katholikon is the Phiale for the blessing of the waters.
The monastery features eight chapels inside its precinct and six outside. These which are lying inside the monastery are St. Euphemia, Saints Kosmas and Damian, the Dormition of the Virgin, Saint John the Theologian, the Presentation of the Virgin, Saint Lazaros and Saint Stephen. The last two chapels are within the katholikon.
The monastery’s library houses 300 manuscripts and 4,000 printed boooks.